Homeowners, schools and municipalities are increasingly removing natural grass from yards, sports fields and parks, and opting to install artificial turf instead. Installing artificial grass seems to be an ideal alternative to maintaining a real lawn, which requires weeding, watering and mowing. In addition to requiring hours of labor, natural lawns may also pose some health hazards of pesticides and herbicides are used on them. Unlike natural grass, artificial turf doesn’t require treatment with pesticides and fertilizers. However, recently concerns have been raised about the artificial turf.
How safe is artificial turf?
More than 50 independent and credible studies from groups such as the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, and statewide governmental agencies such as the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, New York State Department of Health and the California Environmental Protection Agency, have validated the safety of synthetic turf.
Recent highlights include:
- In October 2010, the California Office of Environmental Assessment completed its multi-year study of air quality above crumb rubber infilled synthetic turf, and bacteria in the turf, and reported that there were no public health concerns.
- In July 2010, the Connecticut Department of Public Health announced that a new study of the risks to children and adults playing on synthetic turf fields containing crumb rubber infill shows “no elevated health risks.”
- The California EPA released a report dated July 2009 which indicated there is a negligible human health risk from inhaling the air above synthetic turf.
- Independent tests conducted by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and New York State Department of Health, released in May 2009, proved there were no significant health concerns at synthetic turf fields.
- In July 2008, a U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission staff report approved the use of synthetic turf by children and people of all ages.
Artificial turf is a multilayered product that typically has a granular filler layer composed of sand and/or pellets of recycled tires or other materials that provide resiliency, stability, and uniformity. The artificial turf products that are raising the concerns of some individuals are those that use the recycled rubber (aka crumb rubber) because there are toxic substances in those tires.
I would suggest if you are concerned about safety just opt for sand over rubber. Turf Pros Solution is committed to providing the best artificial turf at the most competitive prices. Our warehouse carries the most advanced synthetic grass available, engineered to look and feel like real grass. Our turf is made with high quality materials that are safe for everyone. CONTACT US TODAY!
THOUSAND SQUARE FEET
installed every year
GET STARTED TODAY
Lets get started on building your dream turf project, contact us today.
START YOUR PROJECT
Contact Us Today
Hours of Operation
Request A Quote
You’ve done your research, you’ve narrowed down your choices, now… it’s time to choose the best! Quality work with quality products = no hassle and beautiful results! Contact Southwest Greens and know… you’ve made the right choice!